Recipe: Honey Adobo Chicken Fajitas with Lime Crema and Cilantro Lime Rice
These Honey Adobo Chicken Fajitas have just the right amount of smoky heat and honey sweetness. The simple lime crema adds a bright, cool finish. Serve with my Chipotle inspired rice and you will want to skip takeout altogether next time.
Marinade for chicken and veggies
- 1/2 cup Liokareas Greek Olive oil or Liokareas Chili Olive Oil for an extra kick
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce (from can of chiles in adobo)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons Liokareas Greek Honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Liokareas Sea Salt
- 5 pounds chicken breast (about three or four breasts)
- One red, yellow, and orange pepper, sliced into strips
- One red onion, halved and sliced
- Cheese (cheddar or cotija)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon Liokareas Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot minced
- 5 cups basmati rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Handful chopped fresh cilantro
- Half lime juice (reserved from crema)
For the marinade: Combine ingredients in bowl. Place chicken in Ziploc bag or shallow baking dish. Cover with HALF the marinade. Cover vegetables with remaining half in separate bag or dish. Marinate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
For the lime crema: mix sour cream with zest from entire lime and juice from half of lime. (Reserve remaining half for rice)
For the rice: melt butter and oil over medium heat. Sautée shallot until softened. Add rice and stir until rice is lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Add broth. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit ten minutes before uncovering. Fluff with fork. Add lime and cilantro.
For the fajitas: preheat oven to 400F. Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat and lightly coat with olive oil. Remove chicken from marinade (reserve) and pat dry. Sear chicken for 4 minutes each side or until fairly charred on both sides. Pour remaining marinade into skillet and place in oven until chicken reaches 165F. While cooking, heat grill pan over medium high heat. Grill veggies and their marinade until nicely charred and softened. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes and slice across grain. Heat tortillas and top with chicken, veg, cheese, cilantro, and lime crema. Serve with rice.